I’ve been reading Insight Guides Southern Italy at night before I go to sleep. How many people read travel guides before bed? How many read them at all.
Anyway – I’ve been doing this and have the beginnings of a plan for our trip. Here’s how it will play out:
- Depart NJ on a Thursday.
- Arrive Rome on a Friday – spend day in Rome.
- Saturday morning depart for Puglia.
- Still Fuzzy Part
A. Do we drive 1/2 way and find somewhere interesting to stay – perhaps on the Gargana Peninsula where I can visit Padre Pio’s home town. I have a strange fascination with Padre Pio since we were in Rome for his Cannonization (right – that’s the one where you become a saint ?)
B. Drive straight through to stay at Masseria Fantoio.
Okay – so we arrive at Ostuni on either Saturday or Sunday.
While we’re there, I want to visit:
- Martina Franca
- The Trulli houses in that town with the really long name that I can’t think of at the moment
- Some of Frederick’s castles
- I also wouldn’t mind hanging out and doing not much of anything, so we’ll see how that all progresses.
- Fuzzy Part Again
A. Depart on Friday – stay somewhere interesting overnight, and arrive in Montalciono on Saturday – I’m leaning this way.
B. Depart on Saturday and drive straight through.
Okay – once I’m done with Puglia overview (and I’m almost there), I’ll start figuring out Montalcino.
Wonder how long before I can contact rentals to make reservation…..